NPR Morning Edition reports on the Northwestern University study in Health Psychology showing how we can learn to overcome anxiety and depression. Embracing 8 skills move us away from stress and toward a positive attitude.
Allison Aubrey’s summary of Judith Moskowitz’ eight techniques includes (excerpt):
1. Take a moment to identify one positive event each day.
2. Tell someone about the positive event . . . .
3. Start a daily gratitude journal. Aim to find little things . . . .
4. Identify a personal strength and reflect on how you’ve used this strength today or in recent weeks.
5. Set a daily goal and track your progress. . . .
6. Try to practice “positive reappraisal” [reframing a hassle of daily living into something more positive, such as an opportunity for “quiet time”]. . . .
7. Do something nice for someone else each day. . . .
8. Practice mindfulness by paying attention to the present moment [or] try a 10-minute breathing exercise that uses a focus on breathing to help calm the mind.