Written on June 10, 2010 by David C. Sarnacki
CNNasked if your marriage was making you sick and then provided tips for getting better.
Elizabeth Cohen writes (excerpt):
1. Argue well ["What really matters is the quality of your arguments."]
2. Your spouse is annoying — accept it! ["[W]hen people get along, they just accept something annoying about their partner. They don’t try to alter it . . . .”]
3. Don’t yell at a yeller ["Be strong without shouting . . . ."]
4. Limit the Greek chorus ["While it's fine to seek support from your social circle, it's also important to go to a counselor, who will do more than commiserate, and actually help you find a solution to your problems, which might include identifying the role you've played in your marital difficulties."]
5. Recall the happy times ["Think of some recent times that were OK to positive. . . . Recall exceptions to the bitterness."]